Of Bees And Bee Stings
Last night, our family dedicated a couple of hours to weeding the herb garden and the flower beds. While we were weeding in the front yard, I had an encounter with a nest of ground bees.
We were making great progress, and I was working on an area that is notorious for being hard to weed. There is an area of ground cover juniper. In this area grass grows up between the juniper branches and needles. It takes a pair of gloves to get through the needles, and I have to get down on my knees when weeding this area. I was about half way through this area, and I was excited to see that this area was getting cleaned up. As I started to get a large hand full of weeds, I felt something buzzing around my head. At first, I tried to brush it away, but I quickly stopped when I realized that there was a pinching feeling through my gloves. Suddenly, I realized that I was being stung by a bee and there were several other bees swarming around me. I quickly stood up and threw off my gloves making sure there were no other bees around me. Remarkably, I was only stung once.
I’m guessing, my hand will be hurting and itching later today.
The bee sting got me thinking some key “Be” verses from the Bible that merit some extra reflection.
- He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Psalm 46:10
- Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come. Mark 13:33
- Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. I Corinthians 16:13
- Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. I Peter 5:8-9
- Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Ephesians 4:32
- Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12
I’m sure this is just a start. What other “Be” verses can you add to the list above? When was the last time you were stung by a bee?