What Matters – What Doesn’t Matter
Life can be pretty challenging, and it can be so easy to get distracted. We get our priorities out of whack. We focus our attention on things that just don’t matter.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to miss out on what really matters. With that in mind, I’d like to offer some ways to focus on things that really matter.
Six Steps To Focusing On What Matters:
- Start with The Book – The Bible. God’s Word is the best place to start to discover what really matters. The Bible is full of hope and truth. It’s a book that provides instructions for how we should live. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- Keep your eye on the prize. It takes discipline and focus. How do you go after a goal? You put reminders all around you. You always have the goal in mind. Make it your goal to discover and focus on what matters. “I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:14
- Find accountability. Recognize that you can’t do it yourself. You need people in your life who will spur you on toward truth – toward things that matter. “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another.” Hebrews 10:24-25
- Take out the trash. Get rid of distractions. What things keep you away from the things that really matter? Do whatever necessary to flee from these things. “Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.” James 1:21
- Filter. Filter. Filter. Be diligent always. Constantly measure the things of your life against the gold standard. Don’t know what the gold standard is? Go back to Step One. “Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.” Philippians 4:9
- Don’t be afraid to start over – again and again and again. Here’s the reality – we are all going to mess up – repeatedly. The beautiful thing is that we can start new. When you’ve been distracted, start all over. There are times in our lives when we need to accept grace for ourselves. “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” 2 Corinthians 5:17
What would you add to this list? What are you doing that matters? How would your life change by focusing on what matters?