Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better.
Are you content with mediocre? Or do you want to live a life that matters?
I chose the second option.
Living a life that matters requires intentional striving for excellence.
Yesterday, we talked about the nine things holding you back from excellence. Today, let’s look at the keys to making excellence a reality in our lives.
10 Keys to Achieving Excellence
- Determine your priorities. Take time to figure out your priorities. List them in order from one to ten (or twenty). For example, here’s an example of what your priorities might look like: 1) God, 2) Me, 3) Spouse, 4) Kids, 5) Health, 6) Job, 7) Family, 8) Friends, 9) Side Hustle, 10) Neighbors. It’s important to know our priorities to help refine our focus. If God is really my number one priority, my calendar should reflect this importance. Making the first things first is part of becoming excellent.
- Get sleep. Exercise. Take a break. Excellence requires the best of us. We prevent ourselves from achieving greatness when we are worn out, exhausted, and out of shape. Sleep, exercise, and rest will give you the energy to make excellence a reality in your life.
- Just say “No.” Saying no to things that distract us from our ultimate goal is crucial to achieving excellence. We must create margin in our schedules to pursue the things that really matter most to us.
- Get a coach. A coach will help bring clarity to your life and will push you to excellence. The wisdom and encouragement of a coach can take you to a whole new level.
- Find accountability. Plug into someone who will ask you the hard questions and will keep you on track to achieve the goals you are pursuing. Make sure you find someone who is dependable. Accountability only works when you find someone who will be consistent in asking the tough questions.
- Plug into experts. Who is already doing excellent things in the area(s) you are pursuing. Talk to them. Read their material. Watch their videos. Find out how they made it to the top of their fields.
- Practice. Practice. Practice. If you want to be excellent, you have to put in the practice time. If you want to be an excellent piano player, practice the piano every day. If you want to be an excellent writer, write every day.
- Create a road map to success. “If you fail to plan, you should plan to fail.” I don’t know who said this, but it’s true. If you want to achieve excellence, you have to put in the time, energy, and effort up front to map out your journey.
- Get off the couch and get moving. Excellence will not come to you. You have to go get it. Stop being lazy. Make your excellent dreams a reality by taking action TODAY!
- Keep going. Don’t get discouraged. Don’t lose momentum. Get rid of the obstacles in your life, and press on to the goal for which you are aiming.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.
If you want to live a life of excellence, it’s time to get going – NOW!
What advice do you have for someone who wants to achieve excellence? Share your thoughts in the comments.