Ice Breaker – 22 Hours
Image by VerseVend (via Flickr – Creative Commons)
Each week on The Stretched Blog, I ask an ice breaker question. The questions are designed to help us get to know each other here in The Stretched Community. I’ll provide my answer to the question here in the post, and then you can leave your response in the comments. While you’re in the comments section, see how others answered the ice breaker question.
This week, GOP Senator Ted Cruz of Texas spoke for 22 straight hours on the Senate floor in response to the budget and Obamacare. I’m not really interested in getting into a political debate or discussion here, but this marathon speech provided some inspiration for this week’s ice breaker question.
Question: What could you do for 22 straight hours? What are you so passionate about that it would keep you awake for a whole day?
My Answer: I’m not as young as I used to be, and I probably couldn’t pull many all-nighters in a row. But there are a few things that would drive me to stay up all day and night:
- Watching my daughter run cross-country (although I think she’d give up well before the marathon reached 3 hours).
- Spending time with my wife. Our days are so busy running from one thing to the next. We often miss the time when our responsibilities and distractions were minimal.
- Playing “Just Dance” on the Wii with my son. He’s hilarious. It might take me 22 hours just to beat him in one of the songs/games.
- Walk the streets of Xenacoj. I don’t think I would ever grow weary of walking these beloved streets (at least not for a day).
- Writing. If I had the time, I think I might be able to make it for a whole day writing. This has definitely become a passion of mine.
- Worshiping God. We got a small taste of this during our last night in Guatemala last month. I think this is actually possible if we are intentional with everything we do (even sleep).
- Watch the Star Wars movies. I think I’d have to watch two or three of them twice, but this would be a fun marathon.
- Run. I’ve done three marathons, and I know it’s a lot of work. But I’m always intrigued by the ultra marathons. If my body could take it, I think it would be fun to run for 22 straight hours.
Answer this week’s ice breaker question by leaving a comment. I look forward to reading your response! (As always, feel free to share links.) And keep STRETCHING!
Also don’t forget to sign up for the weekly Stretched newsletter. Check out this post to find out how to sign up.